With the Kentucky Derby this weekend, it’s the perfect excuse for a party. Check out these tips on how to host a Kentucky Derby Party!
1. Dress up for the occasion!
Kentucky Derby style is a whole event in itself. From the bright colors to the unique hats, to interesting suits, you can go all out. Find a fun hat and a colorful dress or suit to be perfectly on theme.
2. Choose which horse you think will win.
Whether you do a bunch of research or just pick a horse because you like it’s name, choose which one you think will win. Bonus points if you have a friendly wager on it with your guests!
3. Last, but certainly not least: Make mint juleps.
What’s a Derby party without a mint julep?! Check out this recipe from Culinary Hill and be sure to have the perfect glasses for serving!
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar (see note 1)
- 1 teaspoon water
- 8 mint leaves
- 2 ounces bourbon (1/4 cup) or more to taste (see note 2)
- fresh mint sprigs for garnish
- In a julep cup or tall glass, combine sugar and water and stir to dissolve. Add mint leaves and muddle in the bottom of the glass.
- Fill half the glass with ice. Add bourbon and stir to combine. Top with more ice and stir until the glass is frosty. Garnish generously with mint sprigs.
We hope these How to Host a Kentucky Derby Party tips are helpful! Be sure to check out our last blog on setting a wedding budget.